PhD ,Am , ASCE
Chair of Construction Management Department & Director of the infrastructure Research Center, University of North Florida, College of Computing, Engineering and Construction
UNIVERSITY OF NORTH FLORIDA, Jacksonville, Florida 2001- Present
Chair, Department of Construction Management (CM) and Associate Professor, responsible for departmental financial, personnel and academic program matters. Provide the leadership role in accreditation matters. Defined and secured approval for an Infrastructure Research Center and currently serve as the Center Director. Continue to serve as the Director of Graduate Studies in the CM MBA program. (2008-present)
Associate Professor taught various courses in the construction management academic program. In partnership with the Coggin College of Business, had the leadership role in establishing an MBA program with a specialization in Construction Management. Research activities include an industrial research grant, a sponsored research grant and educational grants. (2001-2008)
GEORGIA SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY, Statesboro, Georgia (1998 -2001)
Assistant Professor taught various courses in the Department of Construction & Contracting, School of Technology. Was awarded Graduate Faculty Status based on teaching performance.
MERCER UNIVERSITY, Macon, Georgia (1997-1998)
Visiting Assistant Professor taught various courses in the Department of Civil Engineering, School of Engineering. Awarded Graduate Faculty Status.
UNIVERSITY OF CENTRAL FLORIDA, Orlando, Florida (1996- 1997)
Adjunct Teacher taught various courses in the Department of Civil Engineering, College of Engineering.
Kennedy Space Center, Florida (1989-1993)
Space Center infrastructure design, fabrication and maintenance.
Senior System Engineer, responsible for all engineering specifications for the NASA pier used in the retrieval of rocket boosters and for the analysis and repair of the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station concrete slabs. Participated in the design of the rail system required for the transport of rocket boosters from Florida to Utah. Other assignments included review and approval of problem reports, change orders, and modified specifications and customer liaison. (1991-1993)
System Engineer, responsible for conducting itemized testing, bench testing and integrated testing of components for the Atlas Retrieval Program. Member of the contract proposal development team in response to Air Force Request for Proposal (RFP) for Minute Man Missile Sites. (1989-1991)
AYOUBCO/PERINI CONSTRUCTION CO. (1983-1989)
Heavy civil construction companies.
Quality Control Manager managed a $300 million city concrete construction program. Responsibilities included the direction and coordination of both equipment and material across multiple construction sites, selection and purchase of project materials and the supervision of concrete mixing and pouring. Extensive experience in concrete roofs, tank surfaces, subsurface and water proofing. Extensive knowledge in areas such as concrete pouring, mix design, additives, chemicals, quality control, and concrete specifications. Performed detailed cost analyses and responsible for subcontractor negotiations.
ICAT CONSTRUCTION CO. New York and Cairo, (1979-1983)
Commercial Construction Company.
Project Manager & Assistant General Construction Manager managed the concrete construction of two high-rise towers ($40M). Responsibilities included the management of concrete construction operations including planning, bidding, project schedules, cost analysis, daily site operations and vendor contractor negotiations and claims settlement.
TROUILLARD CORP., Paris, France (1976-1979)
Commercial Construction Company.
Quality Control Engineer, responsible for testing concrete slabs, other concrete structures and the design and control of various concrete mixes. Extensive knowledge of pre-stressed, pre-cast concrete and pre-fab with the Pre-fab Trouillard Concrete System.
RESEARCH PROGRAMS & DONATIONS
- Historical Building Restoration in the Jacksonville, Florida Area, UNF Board of Trustees, $5,000, (September 2002).
- Consulting contract for the selection of a specialized concrete sub-contractor, Stone
Wood Association, $6,500. (August 2004).
- Concrete inspection and testing, Stone Wood Association, $25,000 (October 2005).
- Internet Project Management Software, Primavera Corp., $250,000 (August, 2003)
- Corporate fund raising for CM Department, ~$100,000.
- Modified the CM curriculum to incorporate a new TLO course, Industrial Construction II, with a focus on modifying marine shipping containers for UNF Habitat applications such as housing, shelters, classrooms and libraries. CM students perform the design and construction modifications to the containers. The first two UNF Habitat Containers are to be shipped to South America. Others are in “construction”.
Received TLO grant and other university grants ~ $17,500 (2010 & 2011).
- Community Based Learning Projects:
o Alden Road Exceptional Student/Rotary&
o YCC HOUSING/Builders Care
o School for orphans in the Philippines
- Gateway project downtown Jacksonville
- University of Central Florida, Ph.D., Engineering (1996), Dissertation “Constructability Assessment Using Fuzzy Logic Modeling”
- The American University (AUC), Diploma (~MS) Management (1977)
- Cairo University, MS, Engineering (1978)
- The American University (AUC), BS , Materials Eng. (1975)
- Acrow Corp., Certificate, Industrial Training
- NASA, Training, Software Applications
- Nominated for undergraduate teaching award.
- Nominated for senior faculty International award.
- Best Paper Award at ASC conference, Clemson University, N.C., 2003
- Award Paper Presentation at IAMOT conference, Miami, FL, 2010